Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mt. Everest

Ah, Mt. Everest. The name conjures up such diverse sentiments - forlorn, chilly, lofty, majestic, grandiose, foreboding and romantic? Of course in Nepali and Tibetan (countries on the two sides of this unparalleled wonder of the world), it is know as Sagarmatha (top of the world) and Chomolongma. But, since Sir George Everest "discovered" it, his name has been synonymous with it - his eponym. So it's not strange for people from that region to be asked questions which seem quite incredulous concerning Everest.

When I came here as a student early in the 1970's and introduced myself as Nepali (yes, we are Nepali not Nepalese), I was invariably inundated with questions about Everest and marijuana. Of course, I am talking about those worldly enough to know about the mountain and also to know about the Hippie movement. (The Hippie movement will be discussed in next day or so in my next blog). Questions about Everest ranged from the sublime ("Have you seen it? Is it really that awe-inspiring?") to the ridiculous ("How many times have you climbed it?").

I used to go into a blase mode since it was not as awe-inspiring to me having seen it a few hundred times back home. I only understood the significance of the question when I visited Denver a few years later and looked at the Rockies with eyes bulging and stood there breathless. My Aunt asked me why I was so enthralled since I had been seeing the same sight (huger and closer) for almost all my life. This brought me down to earth in a hurry and I had to admit that familiarity does breed contempt. I then realized that I had not really seen the panoramic beauty of this gorgeous titan because it was an everyday sighting. Now I answer questions differently.

Yes, Mt Everest is every bit as majestic and breathtaking as reported. It is definitely nature's greatest gift to mankind. And it is something for any self-respecting poet or travel writer to know and write about. It has to be seen to be believed. To appreciate its full grandeur, one must see it live and close up. When I was home a couple of years back, I made it a point to see it again because I knew not when I might get the chance.

As for the climbing of Everest, I have not climbed it or attempted to do so. Nor do I have any ambition to do so. The best I can hope for is to have my ashes sprinkled at its base. But I am still taken aback at the thought that people believed climbing Sagarmatha was like driving up Mt. Washinton in New Hampshire and getting a bumper sticker which stated as much. I have climbed Mt. Rainier in Washington State (about 300 feet up). Does that count?

0 Please Comment Here:

Post a Comment